Tuesday, March 31, 2009

G is for Google Desktop: Let me schedule your indexing please : )

Often times when I notice my laptop is performing poorly, it is due to Google Desktop doing it's index update (look in Task Manager, watch the I/O operations columns).  I pause indexing and all is well.  Anyway, I really wish I could configure when the indexing occurs, or have it go in periodic short bursts rather than it's current behavior.


"This one-time indexing occurs only when your computer is idle for more than 30 seconds, so it shouldn't slow down your machine's performance, but depending on the number of items, this process can take a total of several hours."

..and possibly it's index updating only starts when your computer is idle for more than 30 seconds also (I can't find a reference too this), but it does not seem to stop indexing once your computer is no longer idle.  This is probably the real way to fix it-- recognize when I want my machine back and stop indexing as soon as possible!

Otherwise, I love Google Desktop.

No comments: